--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Gautam Mukunda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> --- Jan Coffey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Sorry, but your numbers I believe are wrong. It is 1
> > in 6 jobs that
> > are going to India, that's not 1 in 6 tech jobs,
> > it's 1 in 6 jobs.
>
> Jan, think about what you're saying here.  There are
> ~100 million jobs in the United States.  1 in 6 would
> mean more than _15 million_ jobs had left the United
> States.  That would create unemployment rates
> equivalent to those suffered in the Great Depression.
> The current unemployment rate is under 6%.  I'm not
> going to ask for for a source on 1 in 6, I'm just
> asking you to do a sanity check.  Think about it.

San Jose Paper. sais 1 in 6 jobs in the bay area are now or will be
replaced by outsourcing.

> As for jobs created by offshoring, they happen,
> they're just harder to spot.  Every time a company
> cuts its costs by doing that, it makes products
> cheaper.  This frees up income that people are able to
> spend on other goods - and this creates jobs in the
> United States.

Yea, doing what, for what % of their former wages?

> Let me suggest an analogy.  Someone invents a gadget -
> a new computer program, let's say - that allows us to
> replace computer programmers with this program.  Would
> you argue that the government should stop us from
> using that program?  If yes, why?  If no, then, how is
> offshoring to India different _in its effects_ from
> that invention?

It is artificialy taking something away from the environemnt that
fostered it. If the environemnt fosters a inovation that is a
different concept.

If I were to sell a comodity so cheeply that it devistated a market.
Say If I were to sell gold at a 1/6 the market value, I would be in
legal trouble. If I were to make widgets and I had more widgets than
I knew what to do with, and I sold them so cheeply that it put all my
competitors out of buisness, then I would be in legal trouble. If a
forign market produces steel and sells it in the US for considerably
less than the us steel companies, we tax that steel. When someone
brings electronics into the country they are taxed becouse the
electronics cost more here, and we don't want to put our retailers
out of buisness. When you bring in Wine, it is taxed.

How is labor any differnt? If it is a comodity and can be done by
anyone, anywhere, then why is not afforded the same protections as
other comodities?