<<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/17/books/17comi.html?ex=1281931200&en=0

> > 8e3777cc4943486&ei=5090&partner=geartest&emc=rss>>
>
> http://tinyurl.com/djskq (I had problems with a cut URL.  I figure
> someone else might have, as well.)

THese shortlinks don't show the original source of the URL.

> As I read the article, I was wondering, "On what planet is this woman

> accessing online comics?"  My favorites were not mentioned in the
least.

> > <<http://www.websnark.com/archives/2005/08/wow_i_get_to_tr.html>>

> > The effect is an article on webcomics written by someone who hasn't
> > actually read the comics in question. (She mentions only one
webcomic
> > unreservedly positively -- Count Your Sheep. Which she could read
for
> > free. Nice to know the Times won't spring for a three dollar one
month
> > subscription for her expense account. And also nice to know that
she
> > didn't bother to check around for... oh, I don't know... Webcomics
> > resources to use in research.)
> > Of course, in talking about making money -- and the failures of
> > webcomics to fulfill that promise -- she manages to not talk about
PvP,
> > Penny Arcade, Sluggy Freelance, User Friendly, Ctrl-Alt-Del,
Something
> > Positive, or much of anything else. In other words, she doesn't
know
> > the first thing about the debate of commercial success in
webcomics,
> > much less the topic. She doesn't know the Keenspot model versus
Modern
> > Tales versus Blank Label versus independent sites. She doesn't know
the
> > argument of support versus merchandising support versus
subscription
> > versus micropayments. And it's not like it's hard to find evidence
of
> > those debates. Just going to Scott McCloud's website would do that.
> > Comments:
> > For the record, Sarah Boxer asked for, and received, free press
passes
> > to all the Modern Tales sites while she was writing this article.
And
> > then proceeded to treat the subscription wall as an impenetrable
> > barrier anyway.
> > On a hunch, I did a little research on this Sarah Boxer person and
it
> > turns out that she's a print cartoonist.
>
> Yeah.  What they said.  I'm wondering if her bias totally got in her
way
> of writing something *intelligent* on the topic.  :P
>
> Thanks for pointing this out to us!

Their are dozens of free / daily / archived  webcomix.

A few of the better ones:

Pewfell (older behind barrier):
http://www.moderntales.com/series.php?name=pewfell5&view=current

Sluggy Freelance:
http://www.sluggy.com/

Schlock Mercenary:
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/

Errant Story
http://www.errantstory.com/

User Friendly:
http://www.userfriendly.org/static/

Something Positive:
http://www.somethingpositive.net/index.html

Angel Moxie:
http://www.venisproductions.com/angelmoxie/index.html

Goats:
http://www.goats.com/

Girly:
http://go-girly.com/

Overboard:
http://www.ucomics.com/overboard/index.phtml

Pearls Before Swine:
http://www.dilbert.com/comics/pearls/index.html

Little Dee:
http://www.littledee.net/

Fighting Words:
http://www.comicssherpa.com/site/feature?uc_comic=csnav

I Drew This:
http://idrewthis.org/index.html

The Circle Weave (older behind barrier):
http://www.circleweave.com/

Exploitation Now (Ended):
http://www.exploitationnow.com/

Bleedman (PPG):
http://bleedman.snafu-comics.com/?strip_id=0

(It's not like they aren't making PPGZ in Japan...)

Sinfest:
http://www.sinfest.net/

PvP:
http://www.pvponline.com/