At 07:18 PM Sunday 4/2/2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In a message dated 3/31/2006 6:28:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> A total 85 of these 905 cases were so-called high users of mobile
> phones, that is they began early to use mobile and, or wireless
> telephones and used them a lot," the study said.
> "The study also shows that the rise in risk is noticeable for tumors on
> the side of the head where the phone was said to be used," it added.
> Kjell Mild, who led the study, said the figures meant that heavy users
> of mobile phones, for instance of who make mobile phone calls for 2,000
> hours or more in their life, had a 240 percent increased risk for a
> malignant tumor on the side of the head the phone is used.

The relationship between location of tumor and side of phone use would have
to be more than noticable. It should be incredibly strong. For instance
radiation therapy can induce brain tumors but it occurs in the radiiation field and at the site where the radiation enters the skull. The inverse square rule would
have to hold. In addition there has to be a mechanism by which the radiation
causes mutations.  I no of no evidence that the energy associated with cell
phone use can cause cellular damage in particular since it must first penetrate
the skin and skull. I think this is like the famous power line causing cancer
myth. While there certainly can be unknown effects these effects cannot be
mystical. If brain tumors are more frequent then there must be energy that can
cause mutations. This energy must get to the brain cells in the way that all
energy does; that is it must obey the rules of physics.

Alternative hypothesis explaining the correlation between brain tumors and cell phone use which afaik the study has not ruled out: it is the behavioral effects of a pre-existing brain tumor which causes certain people to drive everywhere and walk everywhere with a cell phone stuck in their ear because they apparently believe someone is interested in hearing them talk constantly and give a running commentary on their lives . . .

Correlation Does Not Prove Causation Maru (Yakyakyakyakyakyakyakyakyakyakyak Class)

-- Ronn!  :)

Professional Smart-Aleck.  Do Not Attempt.