At 09:05 PM Sunday 4/2/2006, The Fool wrote:
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> In a message dated 3/31/2006 6:28:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > A total 85 of these 905 cases were so-called high users of mobile
> > phones, that is they began early to use mobile and, or wireless
> > telephones and used them a lot," the study said.
> > "The study also shows that the rise in risk is noticeable for
tumors on
> > the side of the head where the phone was said to be used," it
added.
> > Kjell Mild, who led the study, said the figures meant that heavy
users
> > of mobile phones, for instance of who make mobile phone calls for
2,000
> > hours or more in their life, had a 240 percent increased risk for a
> > malignant tumor on the side of the head the phone is used.
>
> The relationship between location of tumor and side of phone use
would have
> to be more than noticable. It should be incredibly strong. For
instance
> radiation therapy can induce brain tumors but it occurs in the
radiiation field and
> at the site where the radiation enters the skull. The inverse square
rule would
> have to hold. In addition there has to be a mechanism by which the
radiation
> causes mutations.  I no of no evidence that the energy associated
with cell
> phone use can cause cellular damage in particular since it must first
 penetrate
> the skin and skull. I think this is like the famous power line
causing cancer
> myth. While there certainly can be unknown effects these effects
cannot be
> mystical. If brain tumors are more frequent then there must be energy
that can
> cause mutations. This energy must get to the brain cells in the way
that all
> energy does; that is it must obey the rules of physics.

<<<http://www.mccmedia.com/pipermail/brin-l/Week-of-Mon-20041011/008449.h>http://www.mccmedia.com/pipermail/brin-l/Week-of-Mon-20041011/008449.h
tml>>

"Acoustic neuromas are slow-growing noncancerous tumors that develop on
a nerve linking the brain and the inner ear."

Q. for Dr. Z: Is an acoustic neuroma considered a type of "brain tumor"? (Based on what I have read on the subject, ISTM the answer is "No," but then IANAMD, nor do I play one on TV . . . )

--Ronn!  :)

"Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country and two words have been added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?"
   -- Red Skelton

(Someone asked me to change my .sig quote back, so I did.)