I certainly agree with that basic point, and differ with the Fool.

> More to the point, there are many reasons such things happen.  Religion is
> just one of a bunch of interacting forces at work.  And I do think it is
> blindingly obvious that more than religion creates the swamps of injustice
> in which the mosquitoes of terrorism breed, to paraphrase Jim Wallis.

Well, draining the swamp appeals to lots of different people, with many
different viewpoints.  I think that, it is fair to say, that the Middle East
is a region that is uniquely dangerous for the world.  The only other hot
spot that rivals that area is the Korean peninsula...which has its own
unique history. For example, there is little risk of an attack on the WTC by
terrorists from Zimbabwe, even though the people there suffer horridly under
their government.

I think the unique mix of a region that both brings cash in hand over fist
and is ruled by a small group of people who control that cash fosters a lot
of the danger of terrorism in the Middle East.  The leader of Zimbabwe does
not have the resources to build atomic weapons that can set of a massive
nuclear war.  The leader of Iran does...and the West is sending him >$50
billion/year to spend as he sees fit.  Bin Laden came from a
multi-billionaire family, and had access to millions.  That helped fund
their operations.

Dan M.