On 12/04/2006, at 7:45 AM, Dan Minette wrote:

I was saying that social, political and economic conditions in the Middle East have created an environment favorable to recruiting terrorists by demagogues. My point was to argue against focusing on religion as the
reason there are terrorists arising in Islamic countries, as Harris
chooses
to do.

I certainly agree with that basic point, and differ with the Fool.

Socioeconomics or straight politics create the conditions in which extremism can flourish, but the tools of that extremism, the suicide bombers themselves, *are* religiously motivated. They are convinced that they are doing god's work, and they are told by those who have another agenda that killing Israelis or Americans or Brits or Sunnis or each other is doing god's work.

I think the unique mix of a region that both brings cash in hand over fist and is ruled by a small group of people who control that cash fosters a lot of the danger of terrorism in the Middle East. The leader of Zimbabwe does not have the resources to build atomic weapons that can set of a massive nuclear war. The leader of Iran does...and the West is sending him >$50
billion/year to spend as he sees fit.  Bin Laden came from a
multi-billionaire family, and had access to millions. That helped fund
their operations.

There is plenty of terrorism in Zimbabwe, and for much the same reasons. It's just that it's all internal (as it mostly is in the Basque region or was in Britain and Ireland).

Charlie