On 08/05/2006, at 9:26 AM, Warren Ockrassa wrote:

On May 7, 2006, at 11:02 PM, Charlie Bell wrote:

On 08/05/2006, at 3:01 AM, The Fool wrote:

<<http://davidbrin.blogspot.com/2006/05/age-of-miracles- wonder.html>>

"Only now it's insufficient. We'd like to make pixels move around on a
simulated CRT screen. And we DON'T want to do it using high-level
complex stuff like VISUAL BASIC. Old fashioned line coding, iterating to move pixels according to simple algorithms. Is that too much to ask?
(Apparently so. In fact, the number of peopls who (last time) simply
could not even grasp what I was looking for, and kept recommending
complex, high-level stuff, shows what a mental block this is.)"

Logo.

http://el.media.mit.edu/Logo-foundation/

Simple instructions for making a "turtle" (remember those???) wander about a screen. And draw pretty patterns with a bit of maths.

Mongoloids love it. How how about some real code hacking?

"Real code hacking" wasn't what was being asked for, "iterating to move pixels according to simple algorithms" was. Logo does exactly that. As a simple tool for teaching program flow and algorithms to young kids, it's perfect. A bit later you can move on to BASIC then onto PASCAL and "real code hacking" in C++ or whatever.

And "mongoloids" is considered pretty offensive in some parts.

Charlie