On May 8, 2006, at 1:09 PM, David Brin wrote:

Warren.  Thanks.  One guy at Apple has helped me with
a few of my problems.  A few others linger on.  I will
append a list of those, below.

Okay.

As for BASIC, it's really simple.  I want to show Ben
the line-by-line coding that started it all, and that
still lies deep in the heart of higher level
languages.  He WILL learn C++ and other tools to do
sophisticated things.   But this is not about what can
be done.  It is about doing some very simple things
that are... BASIC.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. VersionTracker shows quite a few returns for "basic" but most aren't the language. Here are some URLs that might be worth a look.

<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/7381>
<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22597>
<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13017>
<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/3237>
<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/3773>
<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/27096>

[n.b., I don't have X.4 on this machine, but X.3 should do most of the same stuff.]

1.  I have always wondered why - in list view - you
can see the KB size of files but not the KB size of
folders.

You can, but it slows the system down since the size appears to be dynamically calculated. When you're in list view in any given Finder window, select "View options" from the "View" menu and check the "Calculate all sizes" box.

SUpposedly there is "calculate folder sizes" under
"View Options" but I do not see this option for some
reason.

Heh. You do have to actually have a window open in list view in order for that option to be available, oddly enough. (Kind of a quirk in the UI, in my opinion.)

3. Irritating in OSX!  I pull a folder out of another
folder and put it on my desktop.  IT DOESN’T SIT WHERE
I PUT IT!  Instead, it heads out to appear somewhere
ELSE on the desktop.  Nor even in the same place every
time, but in random places, even BEHIND active
windows, so I have to minimize all the windows looking
for it.  Why?

The "grid" view on the Desktop behaves that way. This is something that annoys me as well. With the Desktop active, go back to the trusty "View options" menu from "View", and uncheck "snap to grid". Alternately consider changing the icon sizes or spacing; that might reduce the flying-icons problem.

4.  I do not have Speech turned on, yet the round
microphone doohicky-jobby ALWAYS appears on my desktop
and there is no way to get rid of it!  The best I can
do is minimize it.

It might be on by default. Under X.3, if you get into the "Speech" control panel and look under the "On/Off" section, there's a checkbox that reads "Turn on Speakable Items at login". Make sure that's not checked. Also, X.3 has command-/ set up as being the toggle to activate the speakable items. If you're pressing that combination inadvertently, it could be activating speech.

Can't address the WP question either; as for labels, they *went away entirely* until X.3! :( Maybe you could edit the label color to keep it more mellow.

--
Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
<http://books.nightwares.com/>