JohnR said:

There is nothing rational about a vegetarian diet. Vegetarianism is just a form of holier-than-thou for atheists.

Yeah? Well, I'm vegetarian for aesthetic reasons and I really don't much care who else is or isn't vegetarian as long as they don't try to make me eat meat.

And there in fact is a rational argument in favour of vegetarianism, because a given area of land can feed more vegetarians than meat eaters essentially because of thermodynamics. More solar energy gets into plants used as human food than into plant-eating animals used as human food.

Rich