Rich said:

> I think JohnR's argument is that belief breathes the "fire"
> into the words and unless you believe you don't experience
> that fire and so don't truly understand.

But aren't the words, or the ideas behind them, supposed to breathe the
fire? I can go as far as a suspension of disbelief, but to hold that
belief is prerequisite for the fire...well, that just points to sloppy
writing, or sloppy expression of an idea.

> But I think there is no fire, just the power of wishful
> thinking to make people feel intense things.

And good writing,let's not forget the good writing...

Ritu