Max wrote-

>Some Pratchett fans that particularly hate *Night Watch* would  be amazed
>that you find *Night Watch* "lighter" reading, but perhaps  you lucked
>out by skipping *Thief of Time*, first. You might find  *Night Watch* to
>be a subtly different beast if you re-read it after  *Thief of Time*.
>(Personally I'm a fan of *Thief of Time* and *Night  Watch*.) However,
>you probably want to read a lot more Discworld books  before you work
>your way back to *Thief of Time*...

OK Max, you are going to chuckle, guess what one of the other 2  Pratchetts
I downloaded was?
Already a good chunk of the way through Thief of Time, not as good  as
Night Watch to me, but it is good enough to pass some flight time.

My comments on "lighter" are from a naive perspective since this  was my
introduction to Pratchett in a lay persons terms........   Quaint village
opening with some time of police force with cross bows and  suddenly there is
an
interaction with a zombie.... <what kind of story is  this????> ..... <oh
well, take it in stride, I don't know what  "discworld" *is*, and a zombie
never really hurt a story too bad most of the  time>..... moving along......
interaction with troll and timeline  stuff...... <well, after a zombie, what
is a troll to bother about, I am a  non discrimatory head shaker, but still
don't know where it is going, time  line stuff seems cool enough, lets see
where it goes>..... rinse,  repeat.

Whenever I read Bear and Gibson, I have to prepare myself for the
possibility of a major culture immersion, something where I have to work  at to
get
a cultural anchor (but also can create a  connection/commitment to the story
*belief* for a time afterwards if  it is successful). I don't know anything
about literary stuff like that,  but examples are reading Queen of
Angels/Slant, etc. In Pratchett the  story seem to ease you into thinking you
know
the culture and then makes  you do a double take that is kinda fun.  You are
right, the tongue in cheek is helpful strategy/stories are good and  the
"time monks" are a wild card (and from a literary perspective I could see
that would allow some incongruencies in story lines).

I guess it is like reading Heinlein, I found the older stuff first and  got
hooked as a young adult, saving things like the Puppet Masters for  later.
If I had started with the Cat who walked through walls, I am not  sure I
would have had the same perspectives on Heinlein.

<arm chair critic mode off>
Dee