On Monday 17 May 2010 06:23:30 Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Rob Landley <r...@landley.net> wrote:
> > On Thursday 13 May 2010 18:05:53 Peter Tyser wrote:
> >> Using 'read' without a variable is not supported in many shells.  Lines
> >> such as 'while read; do' in gen_build_files.sh would result in build
> >> failures when using sh or dash as an interpreter:
> >
> > Simple fix: say #!/bin/bash at the top of all shell scripts, always.
>
> Please no. Please let it be possible to build busybox with the busybox
> tools.

A) Teach busybox to understand that the name "bash" can redirect to "hush".
B) Teach hush to support the extended API.

> Busybox ash handles most shell scripts just fine.

Ash is a mess that doesn't .config down to small sizes well.  Hush scales and
Denys has a good understanding of its implementation, so that's the one he's
chosen to extend to become the full-fledged busybox bash replacement.  (That's
what he said at CELF, anyway.0

> Please don't force
> us to install the slow bloaty bash to bootstrap a busybox system.
> Please.

I agree this is an important design goal.  The way to fix it is to extend hush.

(Alas, I haven't got time to work on it this week.  I'm trying to get a 1.0
release out of my build project, and working an unrelated day job.  However, I
hope to be able to help out here eventually.)

Rob