On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Matt Alexander wrote:
> * PREAUTH [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 IDLE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY
> UNSELECT SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND]
> Pre-authenticated user m localhost IMAP4rev1 2003.338 at Tue, 9 Sep 2003
> 16:48:23 -0700 (PDT)

This means that the IMAP server is logged in as "m".  No login is needed
or accepted.

Running the IMAP server as non-root is intended to be done solely when the
communications link deals with authentication in some other way (e.g. rsh
or ssh external authentication).

> When I issue commands like Login, I get "BAD Missing command".  I'm using
> SquirrelMail as my IMAP client to try and connect, but it fails with:
> Bad request: Command unrecognized: LOGIN

You can't log in when you are already logged in.

> Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Run imapd as root if you don't want it automatically logged in.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.