I built uw-imapd to run as me on port 1143.  Then I had the admin add this
line to /etc/inetd.conf:

imap-matt stream tcp nowait  m /home/m/local/sbin/imapd imapd

And /etc/services:

imap-matt       1143/tcp                        # local imap for Matt

When I connect to localhost:1143, I get this:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* PREAUTH [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 IDLE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY
UNSELECT SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND]
Pre-authenticated user m localhost IMAP4rev1 2003.338 at Tue, 9 Sep 2003
16:48:23 -0700 (PDT)

When I issue commands like Login, I get "BAD Missing command".  I'm using
SquirrelMail as my IMAP client to try and connect, but it fails with:

Bad request: Command unrecognized: LOGIN

Read data:

Any ideas on how to get this to work?
Thanks,
~M