On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Chr. von Stuckrad wrote:
> IF ALL access to the mail goes over 'https:...' and is so
> encrypted, and the connection between 'webmail' and 'imap'
> is ABSOLUTELY ONLY on the 'localhost', you would not really
> need to encrypt the imap-protocol between apache and uw_imap
> on the localhost.

I have been informed that it is *not* safe to assume that localhost is a
secure pipe; and that localhost *can* be sniffed.

I do not want imapd to be the center of attention of a security advisory
because of an ill-considered decision to exempt localhost from the
encryption rules.  There are still still flames about imapd being
"insecure" because of problems that were fixed 5 years ago.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.