On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Khoa Vo wrote:
> My purpose is to have the server inform me only new changes. For example, in
> my mail box on server there is one new mail just arrived, and three among
> 1000 email have changed status to 'read'. Using the IDLE command, and keep
> the connection alive, the server will inform any change to that mailbox
> using the current connection.

The procedure which I outlined, in which you do a NOOP every so often, is
functionally identical to IDLE.

IDLE does not do anything different.  It just saves you from having to
send a NOOP every so often.  Instead of sending a NOOP every 2 minutes,
you send an IDLE every 29 minutes.

> I don't want to scan folder-by-folder, mail-by-mail to detect changes made
> to mail items on the server, and update to the mail items on client machine.

Even with IDLE, you are never informed about changes to a mailbox that is
not SELECTED.  So I do not understand your "scan folder-by-folder"
argument.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.