I just downloaded c-client 2004c1 and am in the early stages of deciding whether or not I’ll be able to use the library.

The library we currently use has worked fairly well, but it is no longer maintained and is fairly out-of-date (it doesn’t support TLS for one) so I’m investigating new options.

One thing that I need to support however are certain server extensions that some of our customers rely on.  One extension in particular is the SunOne (formerly iPlanet) Messaging Server’s “PROXYAUTH” command.

It works by performing a normal login with a ‘message store admin’ user, then the “PROXYAUTH userid” command can be issued to effectively switch to the specified user.  The benefit over the existing authuser mechanism is that the login for the administrative user doesn’t have to occur in the clear (assuming SSL isn’t used).   Anyway, discussing the merits of their extension isn’t really the issue.  The reality is as a company required to integrate with a variety of IMAP servers, we pretty much have to support this.

So, how do I do this in c-client?  I see no mail_xxx functions or (exposed) imap_xxx functions for sending arbitrary IMAP commands.

Thanks,

Patrick Bennett