Mark Crispin wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Patrick Bennett wrote:

How do I generically support this feature with any given server a customer might be using?

When you open the mailbox, use the /authuser= option, e.g.
{imap.example.com/user=fred/authuser=joe}inbox
where "fred" is the account to be logged into and "joe" is the administrator account.

Yes, I tried exactly this.

...Did you use /authuser=, or did you try to use the "*" hack? Don't try to use the "*" hack. It's only supported by the UW IMAP server, and only for ancient clients that can't do SASL.

I tried both actually. When using /authuser with Exchange I get the error 'Can't do /authuser with this server.' I would assume this is simply because Exchange 2003 only supports AUTH=NTLM *grumble* and in fact, when connected via SSL, it doesn't advertise any AUTH method at all!? (which seems odd to me)

I then set up a local test CommuniGate Pro server to try it. Using mtest (with debug protocol on - and the sensitive flags in imap41.c disabled) I get this:
---------
Mailbox ('?' for help): {localhost/user=postmaster/authuser=patrickb/novalidate-cert}inbox
[Trying IP address [127.0.0.1]]
* OK CommuniGate Pro IMAP Server 4.2.8 at test1 ready
[CommuniGate Pro IMAP Server 4.2.8 at test1 ready]
00000000 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1 ACL NAMESPACE UIDPLUS IDLE LITERAL+ QUOTA ID MULTIAPPEND LISTEXT CHILDR
EN BINARY LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=MSN
00000000 OK completed
00000001 STARTTLS
00000001 OK begin TLS negotiation
00000002 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1 ACL NAMESPACE UIDPLUS IDLE LITERAL+ QUOTA ID MULTIAPPEND LISTEXT CHILDR
EN BINARY LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=MSN
00000002 OK completed
00000003 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN
+
{localhost/imap/user="postmaster"} password:
cG9zdG1hc3RlcgBwYXRyaWNrYgAxMjM0
00000003 NO SASL parameters are incorrect
%Retrying PLAIN authentication after SASL parameters are incorrect
00000004 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN
+
{localhost/imap/user="postmaster"} password:

...any ideas?

Thanks,
Patrick Bennett