On Feb 2, 2005, at 22:55, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
MC> In that case, the user can cancel his account at that ISP and find an
MC> alternative ISP which complies with the standards.

How many users are going to do this? Or, more importantly, how many ISPs
would do anything even if [s]he did?

Many. I'm working at one of the largest ISPs in Norway, and we take pride in allways attempting to do things the right way, following standards, and generally being nice internet citizens.

However, with your attitude towards the problem, no one will change.

Is the pop server (or proxy) developed inhouse at the ISP, or is it from an external vendor?

If it's an external vendor, go after them, and It'll eventually get in to the ISP through a security update.

Either way there is probably someone sitting there that is just like your or me that would be very happy to learn about their honest mistake and correct it. It's not like ISP's or indeed ISV's are large chunks of grey matter, molded, never to change.

(Although it might seem that way if you try to fight your way up from first line support or sales contacts).

If everyone was to go about and put in band-aids to support everyone elses errors and misfeatures, we'll end up with a large, randomly misbehaving mess.

You are free to do whatever you want, but I am glad to see that c-client will never grow such defects.

Regards, Frode