I'm creating a tool to launch tests based on cactus.
It uses my own test cases which extend ServletTestCase, and these testCases have a field used in test methods. But when i launch the test and try to access this field in the setUp method, i get a NullPointerException. I've checked with prints and with a debugger, the field is correctly initialized.

I've read that cactus make two instances of test cases. Could it be linked to my problem ? How are initialized class varaibles when a second instance of the test case is made ?

To build the TestSuite, i use my own constructor with a code like this :
# suite.addTest(new MyTestCase("testName", MyClass param));
and a field of MyTestCase is directly set with param.

I use cactus 1.7, junit 3.8.1 and orion server 2.0.5
Here is the stack trace
testAdd(com.aguila.tests.client.ClientTest)java.lang.NullPointerException
  at com.aguila.tests.client.ClientTest.setUp(ClientTest.java:77)
at org.apache.cactus.internal.AbstractCactusTestCase.runBareServer(AbstractCactusTestCase.java:153) at org.apache.cactus.internal.server.AbstractWebTestCaller.doTest(AbstractWebTestCaller.java:119) at org.apache.cactus.internal.server.AbstractWebTestController.handleRequest_aroundBody0(AbstractWebTestController.java:93) at org.apache.cactus.internal.server.AbstractWebTestController.handleRequest_aroundBody1$advice(AbstractWebTestController.java:224) at org.apache.cactus.internal.server.AbstractWebTestController.handleRequest(AbstractWebTestController.java) at org.apache.cactus.server.ServletTestRedirector.doPost_aroundBody2(ServletTestRedirector.java:101) at org.apache.cactus.server.ServletTestRedirector.doPost_aroundBody3$advice(ServletTestRedirector.java:224) at org.apache.cactus.server.ServletTestRedirector.doPost(ServletTestRedirector.java) at org.apache.cactus.server.ServletTestRedirector.doGet_aroundBody0(ServletTestRedirector.java:72) at org.apache.cactus.server.ServletTestRedirector.doGet_aroundBody1$advice(ServletTestRedirector.java:224) at org.apache.cactus.server.ServletTestRedirector.doGet(ServletTestRedirector.java)
  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:195)
  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:309)
  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:336)
  at com.evermind._ctb._psd(Unknown Source)
  at com.evermind._ctb._bqc(Unknown Source)
  at com.evermind._ax._luc(Unknown Source)
  at com.evermind._ax._ucb(Unknown Source)
  at com.evermind._bf.run(Unknown Source)

ClientTest.java:77 and around :
#protected void setUp () throws Exception {
#       StartSessionServlet sss = new StartSessionServlet();
#        sss.init(super.config);
#        if(super.getInstance() == null) {
# System.out.println("instance est null"); //This message is printed in the server console
#        try {
#            UserInfoBean uib = CollaborateurRep.getInstance().connect(
# super.getInstance().getColLogin(), super.getInstance().getColPass()); //line 77
#            super.getInstance().setUiBean(uib);

I would be glad to give further informations. I did not provide more java code since it's quite intricate and it would need more informations, but I'm sure super.instance should be not null (it is initialized in constructor and then just accessed with getInstance)

Anyway, could I have more accurate information about the way Cactus instanciate the test case a second time ?

Thanks for your help.
Romain Thouvenin