Pedro,

Thanks for the suggestion. That will help a lot with some of the other issues I'm having. It turns out that the problem was with my server.xml. I shouldn't really say it's "my" server.xml because someone else wrote it, hence the problem, but I should have caught it much earlier. They set the context docBase to a full path instead of a relative path, so it wasn't using the temp directory created by the cactus task. The context.xml suggestion will be very helpful because most of my coworkers use Windows and I use Linux, so everything is in different places.

Thanks again for your help!
--David

Pedro Nevado wrote:

David,

I do not use server.xml for my datasource connection: you can define it in a
context.xml file (ROOT.xml, p.e); so you do not need to change your
server.xml, or work with an ad-hoc server.xml, either.

The URL I use for see test results in my browser is something like:

http://localhost:8080/mycontext/ServletTestRunner?suite=com.myclassactiontes
t.

In case you may find it useful, this is my ant script:

<!-- ======================================================= -->
   <!-- TARGETS: RUN CACTUS TESTS                               -->
   <!-- ======================================================= -->
   <!-- ......... Cactus taskdef ............-->
   <taskdef name="runservertests"
classname="org.apache.cactus.integration.ant.RunServerTestsTask"
            classpathref="cactus.tasks.path"/>

   <target name="run_tests" depends="new_context">
       <runservertests
           testurl="${cactus.contextURL}"
           starttarget="start.tomcat5"
           stoptarget="stop.tomcat5"
           testtarget="testCactus"/>
   </target>

   <target name="testCactus" depends="clean_reports">
       <mkdir dir="${tests.reports.dir}"/>
       <junit printsummary="false" haltonerror="false"
haltonfailure="false"
              fork="${junit.fork}"
              errorproperty="test.failed"
              failureproperty="test.failed"

           <formatter type="plain" usefile="false" />
           <formatter type="xml" />
           <classpath>
               <pathelement path="${web_comp.path}"/>
               <pathelement location="${junit.jar}"/>
               <pathelement location="${httpclient.jar}"/>
               <pathelement location="${cactus.jar}"/>
               <pathelement location="${cactus_ant.jar}"/>
               <pathelement location="${aspectjrt.jar}"/>
               <pathelement location="${httpunit.jar}"/>
               <pathelement location="${nekohtml.jar}"/>
               <pathelement location="${tidy.jar}"/>
           </classpath>
           <batchtest todir="${tests.reports.dir}" unless="testClass" >
              <fileset dir="${tests.class.dir}"  includes="**/*Test.class"
/>
           </batchtest>
       </junit>
       <junitreport todir="${tests.reports.dir}">
           <fileset dir="${tests.reports.dir}" includes="TEST-*.xml"/>
           <report todir="${tests.reports.dir}/html" format="frames"/>
       </junitreport>
       <fail if="test.failed">At least one test failed after making
report!</fail>
   </target>

   <target name="start.tomcat5">
       <java classname="org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap"
           failonerror="yes" fork="true">
           <jvmarg value="-Dcatalina.home=${env.CATALINA_HOME}"/>
           <jvmarg value="-Dcatalina.base=${env.CATALINA_HOME}"/>
           <arg value="-config"/>
           <arg value="${env.CATALINA_HOME}/conf/server.xml"/>
           <arg value="start"/>
           <classpath>
             <pathelement path="${java_comp.path}"/>
             <fileset dir="${env.CATALINA_HOME}"
includes="bin/bootstrap.jar"/>
           </classpath>
       </java>
   </target>
   <target name="stop.tomcat5">
       <java classname="org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap" fork="yes">
           <jvmarg value="-Dcatalina.home=${env.CATALINA_HOME}"/>
           <jvmarg value="-Dcatalina.base=${env.CATALINA_HOME}"/>
           <arg value="-config"/>
           <arg value="${env.CATALINA_HOME}/conf/server.xml"/>
           <arg value="stop"/>
           <classpath>
             <pathelement path="${java_comp.path}"/>
             <fileset dir="${env.CATALINA_HOME}">