usually what I do is to set up a virtual host that points to my user folder.  The usual ~username/ never seems to work.  But I have cake running on about 3 different versions of mac os x with no problems, server and client installs

Wow, and now http://localhost/posts/view/1 just goes to a blank white
page, no error messages.  Is there extra config you need to do to run
Cake on a Mac?