According to the api  <http://api.cakephp.org/class_view.html#54f7a2fbe1215f970dff3132730ab1f1>

renderElement takes two parameters

you could try this

$params['user_id'] = $user_id;
echo $this->renderElement('user_box', $params);

and in the element look for it

(hint it will be $user_id ;)

Sma D

On 8/4/06, half_brick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to pass some arguments into an element from a view.
Basically, I'm rendering comments in a view and want to pass the userid
of the comment to the element/component so that for every comment the
userinformation and avatar is shown.
Currently im trying to pass in the userid in the renderElement call.
But I can't seem to get it back out in the startup method of the
component.

My code is as follows

in the view I call:
echo $this->renderElement('user_box', $user_id, $params);

and in the userbox I've tried so many different ways to get hold of
that $user_id parameter.
If someone could tell me how to get it, my problems would be solved.
Cheers