@Steve, yes PHP is installed on the machine and just to verify I get
*-rwxrwxrwx
1 ed ed 1092 Apr 30  2012 /var/www/nk/Console/cake**. (I deleted cake from
downloads dir, that was just for a test).

@Euromark
A good number of my apps are up to date with the most current version of
Cake so I usually keep my PATH environment variable up to date with the
most current version as well. Unless I'm baking a new app I always run my
cake commands from the root/app I happen to be working with at the time.
All of my projects reside in /var/www and my core libs in /mnt/share. With
this in mind, /var/www/nk/Console/cake results in *No such file or
directory * and /mnt/share/cake234/lib/Cake/Console/cake results in *No
such file or directory*. Even though I'm operating as root at the moment I
still took a minute granted executive rights but still get the same error, *No
such file or directory.*
*
*
Like I said, this just started happening recently. I'm not trying to use
the CLI for the very first time on a fresh download of Cake, the versions
on my server go back to 1.3 when I first starting learning to use Cake and
the cake shell has worked flawlessly ever since up until now with all
versions.

Stumped.