On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 06:48:42 -0700, David Suna wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> From a quick look at git submodules it seems that they are geared to using
> them in a single directory.  The changes to a clean CakePHP installation
> end up being across multiple directories as well as include changes to some
> of the files in the original CakePHP repository.  I didn't see how
> submodules would handle that situation.  Do you have a reference that would
> explain this more?

You can leave out Cakephp from the app repo.  But if you want to use submodule,
there are a few options, this is how I do it for 2.x based project:

- initialize your skeleton project. This is where you do your work.

    /path/to/Console/cake bake project foo
    cd foo
    git init
    git add -A
    git commit

- setup a submodule for cake in Vendor

    git submodule add git://github.com/cakephp/cakephp Vendor/cakephp

  So, CAKE_CORE_INCLUDE_PATH will be foo/Vendor/cakephp/lib.  So you would need
  to adjust foo/Config/bootstrap and foo/Console/cake so that it knows where to
look.

Or just don't put cake in your repo at all.  And tell your 'foo' project the
location
of Cake.  There are a few ways of doing this:
  * setup cake in php.ini include_path (not recommended, since it will be
difficult to run
    different versions of cake easily)
  * create a symlink from your project, eg: foo/../lib/Cake ->
/path/to/cake/lib/Cake

Note:

When working with submodules, I recomment to use a recent git. Quite a few
improvements
were added to ease its management.

For 3.x, the recommended way of doing this will be with composer.

---