I have done the tutorials. I posted because it is not totally clear.
Reading the docs has let me to believe there should be a model for every
database table. but if i would do that i would end up with a model for
Customer and a model for Manager both containing the , more or less, same
fields and the same method. That seems strange to me and that is why i
posted the question. Sometimes things just get more clear with a simple
example.

so to rephrase: if somebody would come to you with this specific UML how
would you create this setup using CakePHP.

tx

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 4:50:52 PM UTC+1, Willem wrote:

> how would one create a CakePHP3 app and what database tabels would i need
> to create an app that uses inheritance.
>
> for example fictional setup:
>
> [Person] <--- [Customer]
> [Person]<--- [Manager]
>
> All Persons have "name". Customer has "order_amount". Manager has
> "sales_total".
>
> Person has a method "getName()" , which is avavailable through inheritance
> in Customer and manager.
>
> Person is the parent class and Customer and manager are the child-classes.
>
> How would i implement this in CakePHP?
>
> I could create a customer and manager database table and bake this to two
> models. but that would mean that the getName() function would be
> implemented in both classes.
>
> Could somebody help me grasp this in cakephp? thanks.

---