Looks like the '{n}' bit is prepended automatically in the find()
method, so you don't need it.
Why it's not grouping is a different matter...

Exactly what SQL is generated without the '{n}' ? And paste a debug()
of the resultset too.

In fact, temporarily hack your model.php and add this line:

$this->log(compact('keyPath,'valuePath','groupPath','results'));

just before this line :

return Set::combine($this->__filterResults($results, true), $keyPath,
$valuePath, $groupPath);
(line 1823 in release 6398)

And paste the results.