Absolutely agree with all the above.  Template systems (Smarty, et al)
are obtrusive layers upon layers that are completely unnecessary.
Very basic PHP  *Is* a templating system.  With alternative control
block structure, it is very readable in view/html code (ie:  :endif;
usage) and thats exactly what it is there fore.  By the time you take
a templating system like Smarty, which is trying to re-invent the
wheel, you have overly complex code in your view, too many layers of
processing, and an extra syntax inserted into the framework.

Useless.

I've used the preg replace method when a client just wants to get away
with placeholder tags in the view like {{field:contactname}}   and is
very demanding about it.

WebSpin.biz