Hello Richard,

Context: I'm a long time Debian user, still using Debian on my
servers. But I switched my desktop machine under Ubuntu a few years ago,
seduced by the good polish and freshness of Ubuntu desktop applications.

Richard Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Ubuntu's OCaml support is very flaky.  They don't have developers
> committed to it and take a random snapshot of what's in Debian.  This
> has in the past led to serious brokenness where they've taken a
> snaphot in the middle of a rebuild-the-world compiler upgrade.

I'm sorry to agree that Richard is right.

For example, I discovered at a time that *all* bytecodes shipped in Ubuntu
Gutsy could not be executed. This was fixed once spotted:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ocamlnet/+bug/180364

Another example: current Hardy release (which has Long Term Support
status) is shipped which OCaml 3.10.0 which is broken regarding Camlp4.

To fix this situation, one only needs people on the Ubuntu side to
synchronize packets from Debian at the right time.

As I have an direct interest in this story and while I have no knowledge
at all regarding Ubuntu workflow, I'll try to see what can be done.

Sincerely yours,
david
--
GPG/PGP key: A3AD7A2A David MENTRE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A