On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 11:44:17AM +0200, David MENTRE wrote:
> To fix this situation, one only needs people on the Ubuntu side to
> synchronize packets from Debian at the right time.

This is enough only if you assume that Ubuntu people just want to
"inherit" the Debian work. Sure this will be an improvement over the
current situation, but I frankly want more.

> As I have an direct interest in this story and while I have no knowledge
> at all regarding Ubuntu workflow, I'll try to see what can be done.

The needed steps IMO are:

0) identify who among the Ubuntu developers (core developers or MOTU, I
  don't care) is willing to maintain OCaml-related stuff

1) decide upon a collaboration infrastructure and use it for *both*
  Debian and Ubuntu

  My proposal on this is of course to reuse Debian's, as we already have
  a version control system and a mailing list, and we have already
  reached a critical mass. By experience, other mixed Debian/Ubuntu
  maintenance teams are using the Debian infrastructure and is working
  quite well for all of the involved people

2) coordinate releases, so that the OCaml toolchain is in shape when
  either of the distribution makes a release

3) total world domination

AFAIK we are still missing step 0.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7