On Monday 21 December 2009 14:19:05 Keyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have a large project written in C++, for which i am planing to write
> add-ons and tools in ocaml, e.g. different tools to analyse my code
> (dependency stuff), an interpreter for a script-language i plan to include,
> etc, etc. form my time at the uni i remembered that ocaml allows to compile
> libraries which can be included in c/c++ program, and i know people who use
> it extensively in other projects. therefore, i decided to give ocaml a try.
> i like functional programming, and my first steps with ocaml are very
> promising.
>
> following this discussion, i am not so sure anymore, if ocaml is a good
> decision. may be i got this discussion wrong, but if ocaml is dying out, i
> might have to look for another functional programming language to use with
> my project.

OCaml isn't dying out and it is still ideal for the applications you listed
because they are not performance critical and do rely heavily upon an
efficient GC. This discussion was essentially about the exact opposite end of
the spectrum of applications, where performance is critical but GC is largely
irrelevant.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e