Thanks to Jenna for the valuable feedback. Posting now under a separate topic
to brainstorm ideas for a camping programming competition/contest :)

What needs to be decided:

a) Theme and Jury

The theme options are to give something to code within a certain amount of time
e.g. x days to complete a certain app that is the same for all the
participants. More tricky but possible is to have a more open format and allow
participants to craft what they want within certain boundaries (e.g. should use
camping, should be a small app etc.)

I am far from knowing enough about camping to be part of a jury but a I know
someone that can join as a jury - any more volunteers? Or should it be judged
by visitors /other users ?

b) Prizes (will be sponsored by David)
Obviously a competition is mostly for the fun of it but some prizes can help to
get more attention.
Suggestions are welcome ! ideas:
1st prize a tablet (e.g. ipad) or in the similar price range ?  2nd and 3rd
price any suggestion ?
As alternative a gift certificates for http://www.thinkgeek.com/ or something
from there..or books (amazon gift certificates)

c) Interaction: for the competition the best live interaction would probably be
in IRC but forums can be used too.

Last but not least as camping is a community project who is +1 or -1 for such
an event :) ?
Thanks in advance for your feedback
David