I deploy my rails app git-tree to the front-end web server only because I
have things in the public/ directory which the web server will serve.  I
never run ruby code, I don't really want ruby (or the compilers involved in
making gem work) installed on the front-end machine.

Is there some setting/property that I can set that keep the rvm and bundler
modules of capistrano (3) from even trying to "bundle install", etc. on my
front end machine?

I already have:

set :rvm_roles, [:app]
set :bundle_roles, [:app]