Are you trying to run the ROACH1 on 1 GbE?  ROACH1 is not reliable on 1 GbE.
You have to force it to be 100 Mbps.  This can be done by using an unmanaged
non-gigabit switch (or hub), a managed switch that can force its port for the
ROACH1 to be 100 Mbsp only.  For direct connect, you'll have to use "mii-tool"
on the server.

Another thing that always gets me is MTU.  I don't think the ROACH1 u-boot
supports jumbo frames, so you'll have to run the server with MTU==1500 to
netboot ROACH1.

Dave