For eg Thrift will definitely not help in the messages that we use for the
membership protocol. Because there we need to control how big the serialized
messages are - we make sure we serialize a part of the object such that it
fits into an ethernet MTU packet. We do this so that we don't get bitten by
UDP fragmentation. I don't think you could do operations like that in Thrift
based serialization mechanism. We need more control over the serialization
mechanism.

So I don't know if this is something that is insanely important in any
capacity in my opinion. I am sure there are bunch of other reasons I can
come up with - we went through this exercise 2 year back. Of course if you
want to investigate the efficacy I can't stop you from doing so :).

Avinash