Ok. Thanks very much for all your help!

Linux VM + NTFS? Good lord. :) It occurs to me that this could be a
python 2.6 problem. Can you run python --version? Here's mine:

$ python --version
Python 2.6.4

-x helps, as now I can see the full variety of errors! :) Sometimes I
get through 4-5 tests before it comes back with "Connection reset by
peer". Sometimes I get "not found exception".

One more stupid question if you can stand it: when I get "Connection
reset by peer" on the python side, where should I see the
corresponding error on the java side? No exceptions are showing up in
the system.log. I even modified the __init__.py script so that it
prints directly to stdout/stderr, rather than using the PIPE arg.
There seem to be no errors on the java side.

Jack