But I think that changes the terminology more than the underlying question.

We have the options:

1)  AR -> NH ->  MSSQL (plus others, which we'll ignore for now)
2)  AR  -> LINQ -> NH -> MSSQL, et al.
3)  LINQ -> MSSQL

What are the pro & cons of each option.

One con of (3) is that it's primarily limited to MSSQL (although
providers for other DBs are available at varying stability), but
that's essentially a binary option:  It's either irrelevant (if you
are using MSSQL) or immediately disqualifying (if you use some other
DB)

--
Truth,
    James