On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 1:34 PM, holger krekel wrote:

> > > There are many links which go to google, bitbucket or github -
> > > i doubt those services have worse availability than pypi.python.org
> > > (http://pypi.python.org),
> > > rather better.
> > >
> > > Also we would be loosing a lot of packages because i expect there to
> > > be a non-trivial amount of packages which will not be transferred to
> > > pypi.python.org (http://pypi.python.org) no matter how much people here
> > > think it's cool.
> > >
> > > Why not first have an a good infrastructure and capacity with
> > > pypi.python.org (http://pypi.python.org) so that people *want* to move
> > > their files there?
> > >
> > > best,
> > > holger
> > >

> > Ok, so we have that. What now?
> >

> I am not sure i understand. Just last week there were many installs
> going wrong - installs failing due to the http/https redirecting.

This same problem would have affected external urls as well because
you cannot install something with having first contacted PyPI.
> I've got at least 3 occassions myself in the last months where i couldn't
> use pypi.python.org (http://pypi.python.org) and i've heart similar things
> from other people.

"Couldn't Use pypi.python.org" is very vague. I hit PyPI every 15 seconds
or so and rarely have issues. Lately when there have been installation
problems it's been due to external services being down. For example
Mercurial has recently been having problems because they don't host
their packages on PyPI and their website has had downtime issues lately.
> There is also the issue that it's not clear we could just put all packages
> from download locations to pypi.python.org (http://pypi.python.org) due to
> sizing constraints -
> at least that is what i got from discussions here earlier.

If a package is too large for PyPI that is a solvable problem, the current
limit exists for a sanity check, not for any hard technical reason.