On 28-02-13 10:43, holger krekel wrote:
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 06:38 +0100, Andreas Jung wrote:

I give a shit at the arguments pulled out every time by package
maintainers using PyPI only for listing their packages. I am both
annoyed and bothered by these people.

I didn't see such positions from package maintainers here.  In fact
i haven't seen anyone stepping up saying listing packages externally
is a great idea.  Could you point to those posts?

The position Andreas probably means is projects that *do* advertise themselves on pypi, but don't put their files there.

I have seen that position in this discussion ("I have to upload 120 files per release, so I won't do that", for instance).

Some arguments might be valid, but these projects *are*, taken as one group, actively breaking pip and buildout regularly.

So I agree with Andreas. I don't really care about "the arguments pulled out every time". Effectively actively breaking pip and buildout is bad, period.

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                    http://reinout.vanrees.org/
rein...@vanrees.org             http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/