Borut,

I don't have time to do serious review, but looks ok from the first glance.

How do I use this class, once we agree on the correct behaviour?

Just set it on adapter. E.g.:

import org.objectstyle.cayenne.property.PropertyUtils;
DbAdapter adapter = ..

// since DbAdapter doesn't define 'setPkGenerator',
// but all implementors do, you can use introspection:
PropertyUtils.setProperty(adapter, "pkGenerator", new MyJdbcPkGenerator());

Andrus