Yeah - creating a separate entity for Status and a simple one-to-many relationship between Project and Status'es should solve the problem:

Project
  String projectName
  Status status

Status
  String statusName
  List projects

While you (Terry - the original poster) may want to choose Cayenne over Hibernate for a number of other reasons, in this particular case I think both Cayenne and Hibernate offer the same standard solution.

Cheers,
Andrus