If you have a lot of hay and pasture, then you probably already have
a land management plan in place, and you can just add supporting
grassland birds to your management objectives, along with producing
marketable hay, maintaining pasture, and anything else your operation
covers. In that situation some kind of rotation is probably the way
to go: reserve some areas uncut for the nesting birds, but do cut
others in prime haying season to support your operations. You can
devote a portion of the proceeds to enhancing management for the
birds, if you feel that sacrificing the value of the hay left
standing isn't enough of a contribution.

You'll probably suffer some regret for the disrupted birds in the
fields that you cut, but you can temper that with the reflection that
you're maintaining habitat which in a future year will be left uncut
for them  - habitat that would otherwise revert to brush, shrubs and
forest, or be plowed under, or be converted to housing tracts, or be
put to any number of other uses that offer nothing to grassland
birds. Remember, if it wasn't for farming (a legitimate economic
activity on which we all depend), there would be precious few
grassland birds anywhere in our region.

-Geo

On Jun 14, 2010, at 10:55 AM, Jacalyn C. Spoon wrote:

> Anyone want to chime in on managing hay and pasture for birds?
> I’m also writing this question to NOFA and SARE.
>
> OK, so I’ve been told don’t cut my hay until August and other said
> July.
> June 15th is the accepted date that I was told in my farmer circles.
>
> If I delay cutting my field past mid June I can’t expect much of a
> second cutting. It’s too hot and the field will not grow well.
> It seems that I would eventually end up plowing to get rid of the
> unwanted brush and that wouldn’t be good either.
> I want to keep the land open grassland as the McMansions pop up
> around me.
>
> Thanks,
> Jacie

Geo Kloppel