From: bounce-6035125-5851...@list.cornell.edu
[bounce-6035125-5851...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Jacalyn C. Spoon
[jc...@cornell.edu]
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 10:55 AM
To: Cayugabirds-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] hay cutting question

Anyone want to chime in on managing hay and pasture for birds?
I’m also writing this question to NOFA and SARE.

OK, so I’ve been told don’t cut my hay until August and other said July.
June 15th is the accepted date that I was told in my farmer circles.

If I delay cutting my field past mid June I can’t expect much of a second
cutting. It’s too hot and the field will not grow well.
It seems that I would eventually end up plowing to get rid of the unwanted
brush and that wouldn’t be good either.
I want to keep the land open grassland as the McMansions pop up around me.

Thanks,
Jacie