Today, Shawn Billerman, Nick Sly, Hope Batcheller, and Andy Johnson joined
me for a jaunt around the lake. We started at Myers, where we joined Chris
and Jessie and Ann and Gary in seeing very, very little. From there we
headed up the lake, running into a bit of rain on the way (though that ended
up being essentially the only inclement weather we encountered today).
 Harris Park at the north end was pretty empty.  The visitor center pond is
great shorebird habitat right now, and there we saw both yellowlegs, many
Pectoral Sandpipers, a few Least Sandpipers, and a juvenile Short-billed
Dowitcher.  Easily the best bird of the day was a juvenile LITTLE BLUE HERON
standing on the mudflat in the middle of the visitor center pond.  It showed
the typical field marks: Small size (much smaller than nearby Great Blues),
all-white body, white wings with thin black edges on wingtips in flight,
greenish legs, and gray bill with black tip.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jmcgowan57/Summer2010#5513216499142031602
http://picasaweb.google.com/jmcgowan57/Summer2010#5513216970526163730
http://picasaweb.google.com/jmcgowan57/Summer2010#5513216970140592354
We watched it for about 10 minutes (9:47-9:57) before it took off and
circled once, alighting again in another part of the pool.  A few minutes
later, it took off again and moved slowly off towards the west (towards
Tschache and other parts of the refuge).  We lost it in that direction,
although it may have landed somewhere in the Main Pool, we weren't sure.  A
little while later while checking LaRue's, we saw what appeared to be a
small white heron drop in to the vegetation behind the impoundment, but
after waiting until a boat flushed it, it proved to be only a misleading
Great Egret. Two Sandhill Cranes were feeding in the Main Pool, and a very
flightless looking Ring-necked Duck was sitting on the shore of the canal.

Tschache had four Trumpeter Swans and the continuing Tundra Swan. Mays Point
still hosts the immature Plegadis sp. ibis, as well as more shorebirds than
I had seen there previously, including about five Short-billed Dowitchers,
almost a dozen Stilt Sandpipers, three Wilson's Snipe, and some Least and
Pectoral sandpipers.  Duck numbers have increased since last week, with good
numbers of Blue-winged Teal, Green-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Gadwall,
American Wigeon, Northern Pintail, and Mallards at Mays Point, as well as
two American Black Ducks, four Wood Ducks, two Ring-necked Ducks, and a
female Greater Scaup.

Knox-Marsellus Marsh, as viewed primarily from Towpath Road, is as good as
ever, and now the impoundment beyond it is extremely good for shorebirds as
well.  View is, as always, fairly distant, although one of the vantage
points for the second impoundment afforded some closer views of the mudflat.
 We found nothing that hasn't been around, but numbers seemed to be up from
last weekend.  Here are some approximate numbers:
Semipalmated Plover - 25
Killdeer - 20
Black-bellied Plover - 1
American Golden-Plover - 8
Greater Yellowlegs - 20
Lesser Yellowlegs - 300
Spotted Sandpiper - 3
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 250
Least Sandpiper - 280
Sanderling - 2
Pectoral Sandpiper - 120
Stilt Sandpiper - 20
Baird's Sandpiper - 15
White-rumped Sandpiper - 25
Red-necked Phalarope - 5
Short-billed Dowitcher - 5
Dowitcher sp. - 10

Sandhill Crane - 3
Caspian Tern - 15
Double-crested Cormorant - 240
Great Blue Heron - 220
Snow Goose - 1

Later we checked Van Dyne Spoor Road and the impoundment near the Audubon
Center (which is now tall cattails), but the wind was such that we saw very
few birds (although the cattail-fluff blizzard on Van Dyne Spoor was quite
spectacular).

Jay McGowan
Dryden, NY