Sydney Penner and I made a morning foray to Montezuma NWR on Tuesday morning.
Sydney found two BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPERS in the new shorebird habitat past the
photo blind on the Wildlife Drive.  These birds were mostly pretty difficult to
see at the far edge, often walking behind hummocks.  It was much easier to find
them when they took flight, looking distinctively patternless.  Once, one bird
alighted much closer to the road, offering very good views.   We also saw two
AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS within a few meters of the road just past the
photo-blind turnoff.

We also stopped East Road and Towpath Road.  Pressed for time, we gave up after
only about 15 minutes at each spot, without finding any rarities.  As others
have mentioned, it's hard to identify and enjoy birds here because they are so
far away from viewing spots.

Mark Chao