On Thursday morning, having found nothing at all unusual on a quick circuit
of the Wilson Trail in Sapsucker Woods, I decided to visit the Dodge Road
spruce plantation.  Today's birding confirmed my sense that this is the best
place in the area for sojourning migrants waiting out headwinds.  Along the
east-facing edge, I found Tom and Ruth Nix, as well as a prodigious mixed
flock.

* 1 silent male BAY-BREASTED WARBLER seen momentarily but clearly and
conclusively
* 1 male CAPE MAY WARBLER, incessantly singing for the first five minutes
after my arrival, confirmed by sight, but not heard or seen afterward
* 1 PRAIRIE WARBLER that I heard singing dozens of times but failed to see,
despite much effort
* 3+ PALM WARBLERS
* 1 singing BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER, just barely seen
* 50+ YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS -- very conspicuous, unlike all the other
warbler species
* 2+ YELLOW WARBLERS
* 3+ NASHVILLE WARBLERS
* 1 silent male BLUE-WINGED WARBLER
* 1 female or subadult AMERICAN REDSTART

Tom and Ruth also found a BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER that I failed to detect
conclusively.  Viewing was very difficult because of the steep sight angles
and the dense spruce branches.

Many other birds were also here along the edge, including an EASTERN
KINGBIRD, a few RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, and a WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW singing
across the road in the brush.

Mark Chao