The Dodge Road spruces were active again this morning, especially as the sun
hit them mid-morning.
BLUE-WINGED WARBLER - 2, one singing
NASHVILLE WARBLER - 3
Yellow Warbler - 7
MAGNOLIA WARBLER - 1
CAPE MAY WARBLER - 5, several singing
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 40+
Black-throated Green Warbler - 3
BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER - 1
PRAIRIE WARBLER - 1, singing
PALM WARBLER - 2
BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER - 1
American Redstart - 2
Common Yellowthroat - 4

YELLOW-THROATED VIREO - 1
Baltimore Oriole - 2
Wood Thrush - 1
Eastern Kingbird - 1

And last night around 7:45 I saw a BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER at the same spot,
rather an odd bird for a spruce plantation.

Jay McGowan
Ithaca, NY

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Mark Chao <markc...@imt.org> wrote:

> On Thursday morning, having found nothing at all unusual on a quick circuit
> of the Wilson Trail in Sapsucker Woods, I decided to visit the Dodge Road
> spruce plantation.  Today's birding confirmed my sense that this is the
> best
> place in the area for sojourning migrants waiting out headwinds.  Along the
> east-facing edge, I found Tom and Ruth Nix, as well as a prodigious mixed
> flock.
>
> * 1 silent male BAY-BREASTED WARBLER seen momentarily but clearly and
> conclusively
> * 1 male CAPE MAY WARBLER, incessantly singing for the first five minutes
> after my arrival, confirmed by sight, but not heard or seen afterward
> * 1 PRAIRIE WARBLER that I heard singing dozens of times but failed to see,
> despite much effort
> * 3+ PALM WARBLERS
> * 1 singing BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER, just barely seen
> * 50+ YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS -- very conspicuous, unlike all the other
> warbler species
> * 2+ YELLOW WARBLERS
> * 3+ NASHVILLE WARBLERS
> * 1 silent male BLUE-WINGED WARBLER
> * 1 female or subadult AMERICAN REDSTART
>
> Tom and Ruth also found a BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER that I failed to detect
> conclusively.  Viewing was very difficult because of the steep sight angles
> and the dense spruce branches.
>
> Many other birds were also here along the edge, including an EASTERN
> KINGBIRD, a few RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, and a WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW
> singing
> across the road in the brush.
>
> Mark Chao

> ARCHIVES: