On Tuesday at about 8:05 AM, high drama played out before an audience of at
least seven breathless birders and photographers on the Wilson Trail in
Sapsucker Woods.  Against a blue sky and thin clouds, an OSPREY circled
close over the tallest snag in the main pond and descended, talons flashing,
on the Great Blue Heron nest there.  One adult heron remained seated on the
nest, head up, while the other stood staunch on the highest branch.  This
latter heron raised its wings, cocked its neck, and issued a mighty roaring
squawk.  The Osprey rose again, banked, and made another perilous pass, then
several more, narrowly repelled each time.  For several minutes, the lives
of at least four birds, including a hidden hatchling, seemed in the balance.
In the end, however, the Osprey fled to the northwest, and, hearts still
racing, we watchers returned our attention to the songbirds.

People have found at least 14 species of warblers around the Wilson Trail
this morning, including CANADA (heard singing once between the second
footbridge and the Sherwood Platform), WILSON'S, PRAIRIE (much singing and
some excellent views by Sherwood Platform, then along southern edge of
pond), BLACKBURNIAN, BLACK-THROATED BLUE, PALM, NORTHERN PARULA (3+), and
other expected species.  A female RUSTY BLACKBIRD and a singing
YELLOW-THROATED VIREO continue where the Wilson Trail enters the woods near
the West Trail.

The final birding joy of the morning for me was the sight of an EASTERN
BLUEBIRD along the parking lot of Northeast Elementary School.  Though I've
heard this bird in the neighborhood before, it was the first time I've seen
one on the school grounds.

Mark Chao