Hi, Birders,

Steve had posted that we had a large Cooper's Hawk in our backyard, 1 mile
east of Brooktondale.  A friend of ours had left us a chunk of deer carcass,
set on top of the brush pile.  Crows worked it over for a couple of days,
eating, and hiding suet over in the field across the road.  And then the
hawk took over.  Yesterday Steve watched her for over 3 hours (!) as she
gorged on suet and meat, till her crop stuck way out and she was puffed out
like a chicken!  He noted when she cleaned her beak, and how she cleaned her
talons, periodically.  After feeding, she slipped back into the hemlocks
behind the house.

This morning, she returned, feeling more comfortable than yesterday.  She
sunned herself, and at one point lay down for a little rest, on the carcass.
The feeder birds and squirrels went about their feeding as usual.

About 1:00 PM, the resident Sharp-shinned Hawk shot through the yard.  The
little birds disappeared, and the CH sat straight up.  In a few minutes a
male N. Harrier floated low over the field, right over where the crows have
been caching.  I wondered whether the NH would eat suet as the CH has been
doing.  Meanwhile, the crows were flying about not happily.

S & S Fast