From: bounce-21580430-3493...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-21580430-3493...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of John Confer
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2011 10:33 AM
To: geoklop...@gmail.com
Cc: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Red-bellied threesome

Geo mentioned 3 Red-bellied Woodpeckers making a commotion around his house. We
have had four RBWO being very noise at out house for over a month. This
activity peaked Sunday, at the same time that Geo observed the same behavior at
his house. On Sunday, we had two females, one chasing the other, for over an
hour. Very noisy. The male hung around part of the time and then left, perhaps
hoping that both females would become reconciled to each other and one would
excavate a new hole nearby. "Our pair" has excavated a hole that can be watched
from our kitchen sink and window, much more fun than washing dishes (both male
and female shared in excavating). On Sunday, after about an hour of nearly
constant pursuit, one of the female RBWO went into the nest cavity. For the
next several minutes, the two femals had a billing duel.
One inside the hole kept poking at the one outside and visa versa.
Really interesting wing flashing, bobbing, calling and beak thrusting.
The two females have not been at it since that I have seen.

John Confer